Hi! My name is Madeleine. Welcome to my triathlon blog that will document my journey as a Professional Triathlete competing across the globe. Enjoy :)



Sunday, February 8, 2015

Geelong 70.3

It’s never fun writing a race report when things haven’t gone to plan, however I know that for there to be good times, there also has to be a few down times. During yesterday’s Geelong 70.3 I had to make the tough decision to call it a day during the first 20km of the bike. This was my first ever withdrawal from a race, and while it was a frustrating decision to have to make, I know it was the right one.

I have been suffering from a nerve impingement issue in my lower back/gluteal region for quite a few months now that I have been able to manage. However, over the past few weeks it has become progressively more debilitating and has caused a few secondary issues relating to my hips, hamstrings and gluteal muscles.

After 5 years of competitive triathlon racing I know my body and I know the signs of ‘good’ pain and ‘bad’ pain. While some may say that the decision to withdraw would’ve been a really hard decision to make, it was actually fairly simple. The pain was impacting on my ability to race to my potential, it didn’t feel like a ‘good’ pain and I knew that if I tried to push through it would hinder my chances of a fast recovery. So as disappointing as it is, the decision to rest up was made.

I will now focus on rehab for the next few weeks, with the goal of getting back into a few races toward the end of the season.

Congratulations to all of the athletes out there yesterday, you all did an awesome job. Well done to good friend Alex for qualifying for her first ever World Champs after just a year in the sport…that really helped me turn a sucky day into an awesome day!

Thanks to everyone for the ongoing support and encouragement and I will see you out there again soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment