Hi! My name is Madeleine. Welcome to my triathlon blog that will document my journey as a Professional Triathlete competing across the globe. Enjoy :)



Sunday, November 16, 2014

Murray Man and Ballart 70.3 Recap

Phew…it’s been a big few weeks of racing! Last Sunday I raced in the Murray Man Long Course Tri, followed by Ballarat 70.3 a week later. Ballarat was never part of my original race plan for 2014, however when the opportunity to race arose I knew I had to take it considering I was feeling fit and race ready. I was a bit apprehensive doing two long course races back-to-back since the last time I did this was three years ago and I swore I’d never do it again. However, I knew if I raced smart at Murray Man and did what I had to do and nothing more to make the podium, and then recover well and eat properly during the week, I would race well come Ballarat. It was a gamble…but luckily it paid off and I finished 2nd place Pro Female in both events.


A quick recap of Murray Man…the long course tri (2km swim/80km cycle/20km run) was held in the Riverland district, a short 2.5hr drive from Adelaide. Dad made the trip over from Tassie to watch me race which was great, and we drove up together on Saturday morning. Luckily the temperature on race day was a lot cooler than the 38 degrees we got in Adelaide on the Friday.

The 2km swim was held in the calm waters of Lake Barmera. I exited the swim in equal 1st place and set out on the 4 lap 80km cycle course. I rode fairly consistently, finishing the bike in 2nd place, about 3 minutes off the lead. I was hoping to put in a strong run to try and bridge across to 1st, however the legs were feeling super flat and I knew pretty early on that the goal would be to hold onto 2nd whilst minimizing any damage for next weeks race, which I managed to do.

The following few days I made sure I focused on eating a lot, sleeping well and kept training every day. The temptation post-race is to take a few days off training, however I recover so much better if I do a few light training sessions in the days following a race. By Thursday I was feeling sharp and ready to race again, so it was off to Ballarat!

I spent all of Friday driving across from Adelaide to Ballarat. Then Saturday morning I went down to the IronKids event to hand out medals at the finish line to all the young kids racing. It’s so great to see children at such a young age getting into triathlon and loving every minute of it! Saturday afternoon was then spent chilling out and getting everything prepped for Sunday.

Finally race morning rolled around and we were greeted by chilly temperatures, a bit of rain and some wind. The race start was moved 2hrs later due to the cold temps, so we had a leisurely start time of 8.30am. Two minutes after the Pro Males went off, the Pro Female field were sent on our way for the 1.9km swim in Lake Wendouree. Again, I had a good swim, exiting in equal 1st place. I had a quick transition and lead the bike for the 1st 10km, when Melanie (eventual winner) came rocketing by me. I remained focused and kept pushing hard, knowing that there were some strong cyclists and runners behind me. I was really pleased with my ride, and exited the 90km bike course in 2nd place. I wasn’t sure how my legs would feel after last week for the 21km run, however I felt pretty good and apart from a sluggish few kilometers from the 8-12km mark, I ran well and managed to hang onto that 2nd spot, which I was stoked with. 

It was so great to race in Victoria again and the support on course was incredible. It was an awesome event and I will definitely be back again next year! A big thank you to Alex and Laura for their race day support and to the race organisers and volunteers at both Murray Man and Ballarat 70.3 for putting on such great events. Also, shoutout to Jane from Vital Core Physiotherapy for keeping my body in shape these past few weeks!

For now it’s time to let the body recover before finishing off the year with a few local races in Adelaide. Thanks for reading J






No comments:

Post a Comment